Top 10 Tips for Running to Work
1) If you’ve never run to work before, it's worth taking time to plan the best route. It might take more time to follow the river or a canal, but it will be a lot more pleasant than the road. If there are other people at work who already run in, pick their brain on the best routes.
2) Factor in more time than you’d think. Even if you run at your regular pace, it's likely to take longer than running around your local park. Other people and crossing roads may well add a little time.
3) Leave enough time for a quick cup of coffee or water before you set out and possibly a banana or instant porridge (or something else digestible).
4) Even if you live too far away from work to run the whole way, you can always commute part of the way and run the remainder. It may be possible to switch round which parts you run or take public transport.
5) You don’t have to run home. Obviously if you can, that’s great. But one run a day is still admirable. If you run in both directions, there's always the risk of injury unless you are accustomed to high mileage.
6) Find a decent backpack and make sure it ties tightly round your chest to avoid bobbing up and down.
7) Take your clothes, shoes and anything else heavy in the day before. Don’t forget your undergarments, socks, towel and comb!
8) Many offices have showers. If not can you make do with baby wipes or facilities in a local pool/gym?
9) Spread the word. Your colleagues will look at you in a different light and you might manage to convince others to run into work as well.
10) Consider how often you can realistically do it. There’s no better way to start your day - you'll literally have a spring in your step!